The Gyre Cleanup Plan
Some say that cleaning up our mess in the ocean is an impossibility. We say that it’s an engineering challenge. We have faith in the human race’s ability to rise to this challenge.
ECC has become a magnet for innovation. Our “Can Do” philosophy is attracting ideas from kids to NASA scientists. Our cleanup plan enlists collaboration amongst people and entities in related fields incorporating new cleanup technologies being created by engineering firms world wide. Our number one goal is to promote and develop ocean cleanup systems that can be implemented as soon as possible.
First, the debris must be safely removed from the ocean with as little harm to existing marine life as is possible.
Some examples of possible collection processes are:
• “The P-Pod” 1st plastic collection device, from Abundant Seas Foundation, Jim Murosaka has said himself that; “This is a starting point to be improved upon. ” (For more information about the P-Pod: http://abundantseas.org/ )
• Manta Trawls are used by Scientists to collect zooplankton samples and are being used to collect plastic samples. (For more information about the Manta Trawl: http://5gyres.org/global_research)
It is possible to create a Modified Manta Trawl to retrieve smaller plastic bits in large quantity from the ocean and protect marine life by using a filter/screen at the entrance.
This Solar Powered ‘Water-Wheel’ Will Clean 23 Metric Tons of Trash From The Ocean Every Day
From the online magazine
19-Year-Old Develops Ocean Cleanup Array That Could Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From the World’s Oceans
From the website:
Once the plastic has been collected from the ocean, the following are just 3 sustainable solutions as to what to do with it.
1) Turning scrap plastic into structural lumber, Bedford Technology http://www.plasticboards.com
2) Turning plastic in fuel: http://jbiglobal.com/
3) Gasification: Has been approved by the California EPA to burn waste materials for electricity. http://www.gasification.org/
• The Ocean Gyre Cleanup Contest invites the greatest minds from around the globe to answer the question: “How to remove plastic and toxins from our marine environment without damaging the marine life?”. Millions of people are asking this question, many are designing and building prototypes. The contest is designed to consider from Engineering & the Environmental impact which is the optimal to seek funding.
• Working with nature to restore the oceans to optimal health.
• Plastic and chemicals entering our oceans is preventable.
• Launch education and awareness outreach campaigns.
• Direct and immediate actions.
Innovations can be implemented very quickly with funding, we are seeking funding for an Ocean Gyre Cleanup Contest and prototype development of the best concept. Contact; Rich@GyreCleanup.org